Sunday morning


A lovely bouquet of flowers which were delivered to me by my Japanese friend and neighbour who is a dog owner and understands the distress we are going through.  Tubby has taken it very badly and stuck like a limpet to James all day and refused to eat.  I had a quick ring around to tell everyone what had happened to save any difficult moments of people asking how Basso was getting on.  My conscience is clear but my heart is broken.  What a way to say goodbye to our lovely vet who has been in practice for 54 years and is finally retiring at the end of the month.  Even Mark the gardener texted me to ask about Basso.  

Near this Spot
are deposited the Remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Basso, a Dog

Lord Byron put it rather well.  This epitaph is actually quite long so I have only quoted the first part but I think it says it all.

Tough times don't last but tough people do.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday morning

Good morning early readers

Wenesday morning