Saturday morning

Another week has flown pasts and here we are again at the weekend.  Yesterday was a good day and most of my jobs got done with the exception of the gardening but maybe that will fit into todays plan.  The last of the rubbish got taken to the tip so the shed is ready to receive the washing machine.  The dogs got a good run in the woods and hens got cleaned out. Lunch was some lemon soles which had just been delivered by the fishmonger.  I hastily ran up a bit of tartare sauce to go with them and some sliced tomatoes made up the meal.  For supper we had one of my many favourite dishes 'corned beef hash' with fried eggs.  Needless to say the whole house smells of fried onions this morning but hopefully once the sun is up I can fling a few windows open and get some fresh air through.

The washing is machine is working hard and I am making sure that all the laundry is up to date so I will not be caught off guard when the plumber starts work.  Although the mornings have been foggy it usually turns nice and sunny by mid morning so things are drying well outside.  I am happy to leave the gardening to do while the plumbers are here as I will only get in their way in the kitchen which is my usual hiding place.

Yesterday I bought a pork belly joint in Aldi and today it is my intention to unroll the joint and fill the centre with seasoning and some sage, rosemary and garlic then re-roll and cook as for porchetta, that is, over 3 hours at 150ÂșC.  Some swiss chard and roast potatoes will complete the meal and hopefully there will be plenty of leftovers for supper.  However my first job is to make a batch of digestive biscuits as I promised my friend Tak a chance to try them and also Mike friends Len and Margaret are going to come for coffee so they will be nice to have with a drink.  I don't carry biscuits  in stock as they are too much of a temptation and just get eaten!!!!  The recipe I use is one of Gary Rhodes which has little sugar so they work well with cheese as well.  They are very quick to make so I can run a batch up when needed.  

Ingredients

  • 4oz/100g wholewheat flour
  • 4oz/100g medium oatmeal 
  • 2oz/50g soft brown or caster sugar
  • 1teaspoon baking powder or ½ teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
  • pinch of salt
  • 4oz/100g butter 
  • 1-2 tablespoons milk
You will also need a lightly greased baking sheet and some cling film.

Method

  • Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/350F/180C.
  • Mix together all of the dry ingredients and rub in the butter to a breadcrumb texture. Now add enough milk to create a moist pastry consistency. Refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm the mix.
  • This creates a reasonably delicate dough so it's important to roll between the sheets of cling film with great care. When 3mm thick cut into 6-7cm discs re-rolling any trimmings.
  • Place the discs on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes, until lightly browned and firm to the touch.
  • Remove from the oven and leave to rest for five minutes before transferring onto a wire rack.
The digestives are now best kept in an airtight container and eaten within 2-3 days. However, once you have made them, it is very rare they last that long!
If you decide to have a go at these you will not be disappointed and I guarantee they will disappear very quickly.  Well having discussed it now I am off to make them and get them in the oven asap so they have time to cool down before we need them.
Have a great weekend and lets hope the good weather holds......

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good morning early readers

Friday morning

Friday morning