Wenesday morning



Yesterday was a quiet day but with no rain which is due today according to the weather forecast.  I got stuck into my monthly chores and got them all done as soon as possible with the exception of cleaning out the pond pump which I managed to put off until nearly lunch time.  It never ceases to amaze me how good I am at procrastinating when there is a job I don't want to do.  Anyway eventually I got round to doing the pump which only take about half an hour to do so it is not as if it is a big job, just a messy one.  Anyway, all done now for another month.  

We were destined to go to Shionas today but sadly Mike is feeling a bit under the weather so we have cancelled and hopefully Shiona will come and see us tomorrow.  I was very pleased with my attempt at "petto di pollo alla pizzaiola"  The chicken breast was split in half and batted out before being dipped in seasoned flour and fried off to give it a nice golden coat.  It was then laid on a bed of tinned tomatoes laced with minced garlic, olive oil, basil and seasoning.  On top of the chicken pieces were placed slices of mozzarella cheese and the whole thing was put in the oven to finish off. 
The photos are courtesy of google images as I forgot to take the camera with me.

While I was in the garden doing the pump I discovered a whole load of courgettes ready to be picked so with the chicken we had "zucchini trifolati".  This has to be one of my favourite ways to eat courgettes - they are basically just sauted off in olive oil, garlic and parsley.  It is very easy as the whole lot starts off cold in the pan and then all cooks together.  


Having had such a very nice lunch we decided to have a salmon tartare dressed with lime juice and served with hot buttered toast for supper.


Now I don't know if any of you watched Tom Kerridge pub food the other night but his recipe for a jacobs ladder of beef was one that really appealed to me so in my fridge is a chunk of short ribs of beef which are about to start the three day process of being prepared according to his recipe.  Today they will go in the dry cure of herbs and spices and tomorrow they will spend many hours in the oven coated in the barbecue sauce.  In the mean time today we will be having some pork chops with leeks which are nice and easy to prepare and I will probably make a pot of butternut squash soup for supper in the thermomix.

The dry cure for the beef requires the following ingredients
4 tbsp sea salt
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp celery salt
1 tbsp cracked black pepper
1 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp crushed coriander seeds
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tbsp dried herbs de provence
1 tbsp smoked paprika

The barbecue sauce needs the following
200g/7oz dates, roughly chopped
250g/9oz drained pickled onions, roughly chopped
570ml/1 pint stout
3 tbsp English mustard
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
300ml/½ pint apple juice
3 tbsp clear honey
3 tbsp black treacle
3 tbsp golden syrup
1 tbsp tabasco
1 tbsp tomato purée
3 tbsp soft dark brown sugar

Now my store cupboards are fairly well stocked but I think a trip to Tesco is in order.  The quantities are for 7lbs of meat but mine is about half that so not quite the same quantities.  

Well it has just started to rain and it is coming down in torrents so we are definitely in for a wet day just right for a day in the kitchen playing with all the ingredients.........................



Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good morning early readers

Friday morning

Friday morning