Thursday morning

Good morning all, yesterday was a lovely sunny day but it was wasted on me as I felt like a wet dishcloth for most of the day.  Tiredness has a cumulative effect and though I tried to get some sleep it eluded me.  I should have got some gardening done but didn't so I just felt guilty instead.  I did however assemble the pie and it was a very tasty lunch.  One thing I would like to mention, the recipe calls for the grated zest of a lemon but frankly that is too much and it overpowered the other flavours.  However, that said, it was a splendid way to use a very small piece of leftover salmon and make a meal for four people.  The mixture of leek and courgette slowly cooked in some olive oil or butter made a very tasty and economical filling.  The recipe is available on the net but for your convenience I will put it in this blog.

Salmon filo pie Jamie Oliver
3 leeks
2 large courgettes
olive oil
2 sprigs of fresh thyme
200 g leftover cooked salmon
100 g feta cheese
1 lemon
3 large free-range eggs
1 x 250 g pack of filo pastry
15 g Parmesan cheese
1 romaine lettuce
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Trim and roughly chop the leeks and courgettes and place in a large pan on a low heat with a lug of olive oil and the thyme leaves. Cook gently for 30 minutes, or until soft and lightly golden, with the lid on for the first 5 minutes, stirring regularly. Once soft and sweet, season to perfection and leave aside to cool for 5 to 10 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Flake the salmon into the cooled mixture, crumble in the feta, grate over the zest from the lemon, crack in the eggs and stir well to combine. Layer the filo over the base of a lightly oiled ovenproof frying pan or dish (roughly 30cm), overlapping the sheets and letting them hang over the edge of the pan as you layer – make sure you fully cover the base and allow enough overhang to fully cover the filling once folded in – brushing with olive oil as you go. Spoon in the salmon filling, then fold in the overhanging filo to form a lid. Brush the top with olive oil and finely grate over the Parmesan. Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until cooked through, golden and crisp.

Meanwhile, slice the lettuce and cucumber. Mix the juice from the lemon, the extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper together, then drizzle over the salad veg.
Transfer the filo pie to a board, cut into wedges, and serve.

After this delicious lunch I thought I would try and get an afternoon sleep but no such luck it just wasn't my day.  I'm sure the harder you try to sleep the less chance you have!!! Anyway for supper we sucumbed to a chinese takeaway and then finally with a very full stomach I fell asleep at about 8pm and slept through till 1.30 then after a milling around for an hour or so I went back to bed and slept until 6.30.  I think I have now caught up on all the missed sleep and feel much more lively though my back is creating from a day of indolence.  

The weather this morning doesn't look too bad so I may get some gardening done this morning as apparently Friday is going to be a very wet day.  There will only be Mike and I for lunch so something simple will do like a poached egg on toast.  Then for dinner I think maybe a steak would be in order.  All nice easy cooking however now that I have some minced veal I will make a big pot of proper bolognese sauce for the freezer.  Once all the ingredients are fried off the slow cooker is the ideal way to cook it.  

Well on that happy note I am off to the freezer to get out the goodies for todays extravaganza.................


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Good morning early readers

Friday morning

Friday morning