Wednesday morning

Yesterday while I was copying across some of my recipes I stumbled upon one for bratwurst with onion gravy and rosti.  I had all the ingredients with the exception of the bratwurst but Mike would be passing Aldi on his way back from the barber.  What an excellent lunch I suppose it was sausage and mash but with a German twist.  The onion gravy recipe was delicious with red wine and dijon mustard in it.


For the onion sauce
2 medium onions, peeled and thinly sliced 

1tbsp vegetable oil 

A good knob of butter 

3tsp flour 

1tsp tomato purée 

1tsp Dijon mustard 

100ml red wine 

250ml beef stock

Salt and freshly ground black pepper.


To make the sauce, heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pan and gently cook the onions for 8-10 minutes with a lid on until lightly coloured. You may need to add a splash of water if they are catching on the bottom of the pan. Add the butter, flour and tomato purée and stir well over a low heat for a minute. Add the mustard, stir well then gradually add the red wine, stirring to avoid lumps forming, before gradually adding the beef stock. Season, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 20-25 minutes until the sauce has reduced by about two thirds and thickened. If the sauce is getting too thick, add a little water. Remove from the heat and cover with a lid to keep warm.

This would be a good sauce for any kind of sausage meal and I'm sure it would freeze well.  The next time I make it I will double the recipe and put half in the freezer for a later date.

For supper I had a couple of red peppers which were beginning to get past their best so they got finely sliced and put in a pan with some olive oil and a couple of crushed cloves of garlic and a tin of chopped tomatoes.  Everything is then brought to a simmer and cooked until the pepper is cooked and the tomato reduced.  Finally eggs are cracked into the mix and either left whole to poach or scrambled in.  Lots of nice crusty bread finishes off this tasty snack meal.

In my vegetable box this week there is a squash which I think will be made into some kind of soup for today.  I have a chorizo sausage which I can fry off to make a tasty base for the soup and a swirl of cream should make for a luxurious finish.  

Yesterday we had a visit from the plumber who installed the central heating as the overflow pipe is leaking and leaving a wet patch on the exterior wall so that needs fixing.  He is coming tomorrow morning to reseal the pipe.  

Today is a bit of a limbo day too soon to start cooking for the weekend so I will content myself with a bit of a tidy up and dusting.  So far we have had none of the wild weather predicted but I hope I am not counting my chickens.....

Tomorrow will see the major shop so a comprehensive list needs writing.  I will try the facility on the new program but first I would need to add all the recipes.  










2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wenesday morning

Saturday Morning

Friday morning