Tuesday morning

Yesterday was a successful day in the kitchen.  The savoury bread and butter pudding was very tasty and surprised us all as we were not expecting great things from the recipe.  It was a very good way of using up one lonely gammon steak and making it stretch for three people.  It also used up some stale bread and some mouse trap cheddar.


Ham and cheese bread and butter pudding


75g/2½oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, sliced
1 loaf thick-sliced white bread, crusts removed
200g/7oz thick-cut ham, cut into chunks
250g/9oz mature cheddar, grated
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
100g/3½oz peas
3 free-range eggs, plus 3 free-range egg yolks
500ml/18fl oz double cream


1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease a large ovenproof dish with butter.

2. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.

3. Meanwhile, butter the slices of bread.

4. Layer, half of the buttered bread, onion, ham, cheese, parsley and peas into the dish, then repeat with the remaining ingredients. Reserve a little cheese to sprinkle over the top.

5. Whisk the eggs and egg yolks together in a bowl until well combined.

6. Heat the cream in a saucepan until just boiling, then pour onto the egg mixture and whisk until well combined. Pour the mixture over the bread and set aside for at least 30 minutes.

7. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes, or until golden-brown on top.

This is the actual recipe but I messed around with the quantities depending what was available.  It makes and ideal lunch or supper dish served with a green salad.

Then for supper we were back in the 70's with a moussaka which I made with the left overs from the lamb joint we had at the weekend.  It made a nice change from the usual shepherds pie and rather than fry the aubergines, which drink up cooking oil, I just brushed the slices and cooked them on the griddle pan before assembling the dish.  The topping sauce was, of course, made in the thermomix while I was attending to the aubergines.  The addition of egg to the sauce ensured a lovely brown top.

Today Dennie is due to come at 8am and I have managed to get all the laundry out of the way but still have a pile of ironing to get done.  I noticed that the cushions on the chairs in the sitting-room are again in need of a wash! a certain four legged person with a drooly mouth has been using them!!!! Generally I try to keep him out of the room as I know that he likes to sit on the chairs and look out of the window but he has given me the slip on several occasions.

I was hoping to finish the pair of socks I was knitting but noticed and error and had to unpick almost a day worth of knitting so I am now back to where I was yesterday and still have a days kitting before they are finished and I can start the mittens.

Today I am going to make some burgers from the piece of venison which has defrosted but I can't decide whether to get the mincer out or to chop the meat in the Thermomix.  I think the mincer would give a better finish but produce lots of washing up.  I suppose given that I have a great mincer I aught to use it even if it is for a relatively small amount of meat.

The temperature has risen a couple of degrees and was warm enough for some drizzle last evening rather than sleet.  Despite the lengthening of the days it still remains very grey, dull and miserable.  I can't wait for a bit of sun and some warm spring days to arrive.

I am off to get the ironing out of the way!  have a good one despite the weather.....
 


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Friday morning

Good morning early readers

Wenesday morning