Tuesday morning

I fell asleep very early last night so I am up at stupid o'clock but feel fine as I have had enough sleep.  We took Tuc out for a walk yesterday as he was so lively and looking so much better.  Today we are due to start the day with a trip to the vet and hoping to get a clean bill of health.  I hope now it is just a case of gradually re-feeding him until he is back to a full diet.  

We had the Heston macaroni cheese for lunch and while it was delicious I didn't feel it was significantly better than any other.  Certainly making the cheese sauce with cornflour dredged cheese instead of a roux is much easier and more reliably smooth.  But reducing 300 ml of wine to 30 ml and adding to chicken stock didn't make much difference except to make more washing up.  For dinner I made a sort of frittata/tortilla with potatoes, celeriac, bacon and onions.  This was very acceptable when given a good dollop of tomato ketchup.  I also set to and made the shells of individual crab and leek tarts so now all that is left is to fill and bake them off at the weekend.  The wonderful Jane is not coming today as I have asked her to come on Friday so the house will be nice and clean for our visitors and I know she will help me with the bed making.  

The snow is still on the ground but much of it has thawed and melted away and though the temperature is hovering just under zero it doesn't feel as cold as it did with the wind.   The hens seem to be quite cosy in the greenhouse which has a thick blanket of snow over it and as yet their water has never frozen.  The vegetable box is due today with the following contents:-
  • potatoes 
  • carrots 
  • onions 
  • savoy cabbage 
  • calabrese broccoli 
  • beetroot 
  • ramiro peppers 
  • red/green batavia lettuce  
I have an ox cheek stew in the freezer which will be nice with dumplings and the savoy cabbage.  The only thing I always have trouble with is the beetroot.  It really isn't my favourite vegetable and other than in a mixed  roasted roots tray I am at a bit of a loss as to what to do with it.  I think I will have to look up some imaginative recipes and see if I can't come up with something more exciting.  How about this?
Hot beetroot salad

Hot beetroot salad

Bursting with goodness, this vegetarian side dish is a great addition to a winter main

Difficulty and servings

EasyServes 4

Ingredients

Ingredients

Preparation and cooking times

Preparation time Prep 10 mins
Cook time Cook 5 mins
Vegetarian Vegetarian, Low-fat, Super healthy

Method

  1. In a large non-stick frying pan, fry the beetroot for 2 mins. Add the lemon juice and cook for 1 min more. Drizzle in the honey and mustard and stir to coat the beetroot. Serve immediately.

PER SERVING

44 kcalories, protein 2g, carbohydrate 9g, fat 1 g, saturated fat 0g, fibre 2g, sugar 8g, salt 0.28 g

I would think this would be nice with a little goats cheese or may be feta or as a side dish to accompany cold roast meats.  I also assume that the frying process is in a little olive oil even though it isn't mentioned in the ingredients list.

The washing machine earned its keep yesterday so I now have a house full of washing to iron and get rid of.  Still at least it will keep me warm until the heating kicks in and I can go and have my shower.  

I am hoping the weather is kind tomorrow as I would enjoy going shooting but we will have to see if the others feel like it. 

Have a good day and any suggestions for the beetroot would be much appreciated.... 


3 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wenesday morning

Saturday Morning

Friday morning