Thursday morning and still dark

One simnel cake and if you count the balls on the top you will discover that I am not religious and have the wrong number!  It is very yellow because I was too lazy to make my own marzipan and used a shop bought version.
What a glorious day yesterday was if a bit hot for us shooters.  Shiona arrived bright and early bearing gifts - she had been out and picked asparagus from an orchard that had once been an asparagus field and though they thought they had grubbed out all the plants some of them got away and are producing well.  So today will be an asparagus day but as yet I haven't decided which of the hundreds of recipes to do.  I quite fancy asparagus and parmesan tarts...
Now on to the shooting when we arrived and paid our cash for a round John the proprietor enquired if we were of a similar standard, which we agreed we were, so he handed us a trophy for the winner of the days round.  I am pleased to say that the trophy is mine by 5 shots.
We had a lovely round of shooting and the ground was packed with so many people including a large family who were having a grand time.  We managed to avoid the large groups by shooting the round backwards and starting on the last stand and working back which meant we were not held up much at any of the stands.  Shiona a I were like a pair of cripples making our way round she had sore ribs form a mishap with her mower and my back was playing up so we were equally full of analgesics.....
We finally arrived home at about 2pm neither of us prepared to clean our guns but in desperate need of liquid refreshment and a bite of lunch.  I had made a panzanella salad and some cold sausages and together with a slice of the simnel cake we were full and happy.  As the weather was hot the dogs were all very happy to lie around sleeping though we did have a bit of a game in the garden with them.  The laundry which I didn't hang out until 4pm was dry by 6 when I went to put the chickens to bed.  Neither Mike nor I really fancied supper so we just had a slice of cake and a cup of tea and made that do before we crashed out for the night.
Today the wonderful Jane is due and boy is she needed the house really does need a good hoover through.  According to the weather forecast it is going to be another glorious hot day so I need to get my chores done before it gets too warm and hopefully get the dogs out while they are still in the mood.  Basso being young is always in the mood but the older dogs don't appreciate a walk in the heat they far prefer to snooze in the sun.....
Anne I hope the essay got done and you can now enjoy the good weather a bit....
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Wenesday morning

Friday morning

Monday morning