Thursday morning

I seem to be back on track it is nearly 5am so much better.  Yesterday, however, was a miserable day as I was so tired.  We has to abandon our ideas of going to the Scallop Festival as the box of meat I had ordered didn't show up until early afternoon by which time I was past caring. I will have to make a note of the date and try again next year.  The meat was beautifully packed in a polystyrene box with a large freezer pack in it and was still frozen solid so it was merely a case of transferring it to my freezer.  Each pack is labelled with the contents and weight so there should be no confusion.  I don't normally buy my meat this way but as it was on special offer - two for the price of one it seemed like a good idea.  Anyway, I now have a freezer full of veal which we can gradually wade our way through.  I also bought a piece of mutton which is a meat I very much like and find difficulty getting hold of.  In the wee small hours of the morning I made a beetroot and chocolate cake which once cold I cut in half, putting one half straight in the freezer to prevent over indulgence.  I knew if I left it lying around it would get devoured.  While I was at it I had loads of beetroot so I have siphoned out 200 grams for another cake which is also in the freezer out of harms way.  That done I moved on to the leek and potato soup which we had for supper with some nice croutons and a wedge of cake.  Lunch had been a pair of grilled lamb cutlets with a side dish of butter beans cooked with tomato and chorizo and yes you've guessed it a slab of cake.  Today we are destined to go out to lunch and have a table booked at the restaurant at Kits Coty which is a megalithic burial monument of four stones.  Not exactly riveting and a fair trek across the downs to go and see.  Lets hope the restaurant is a bit more exciting it certainly has commanding views over the valley so if the weather is good it should be most pleasant.


We are picking up Len and Margaret at 11 which should give us a chance to take the dogs for a walk before we sit down to eat.  Basso is being a real pain at the moment and refusing to pick up dummies and I really don't understand why he has just gone off the boil so I think I will give it a rest for a while and then reintroduce it.  Perhaps he is just bored!!!!  I may try him with his frozen pheasant and see if he will bring that back to me....
I have planned nothing for dinner tonight as chances are after a good lunch we will require nothing but a cup of tea and a slice of toast.  However, I do have some minestrone hiding in the freezer if it is needed.
Reading through this blog it seems that the freezer is definitely my very best friend and I sometimes wonder where we would be with out it.  I think it saves me from wasting food and cuts down on the shopping.  With my meat order I also bought some oak chips for the smoker as I have intentions of making some smoked salmon as soon as the weather is settled.  I though I might also have a go at making my own kippers and smoked mackerel.  However, my first project is to make some veal and ham pies - I can't decide whether to go with the traditional hot water-crust pastry or just make them with shortcrust.  Anyway first I have to source some nice ham hocks from the butcher.  I could make a gala pie with hard boiled eggs in the centre, oh decisions decisions!!!!!!! What would you do?????
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday morning

Good morning early readers

Wenesday morning