Friday morning

Yesterday was a glorious spring day it was warm and the sun shone from time to time making it very pleasant.  Jeff arrived on time and after we had had a cup of coffee we loaded up the car with the guns and also with Basso and off we went to Dartford.  We had both decided to wear our thick jackets as the club is on marsh land down by the river and almost under the QE2 bridge which links Kent to Essex and therefore usually windy and cold.  As it turned out we were slightly over dressed but not uncomfortably hot.  I am getting used to my gun alterations and I shot rather well so I was pleased.  We shot three rounds of skeet which amounts to 75 shots each and by the time we had done that my arms were getting quite tired.  We made our way back to the club house where the lady who books us in was waiting with her dog Frank and he and Basso were turned loose to have a good run around.  It was lovely to see the pair of them really running at full pelt and obviously having such good fun.  Then it was back home for the pie-fest I had taken out one chicken and ham, one chicken and mushroom and a pheasant pie.  Fortunately there was no disagreement and Jeff had the pheasant pie as we are pretty pheasanted out and Mike and I had the chicken pies.  I had done a dish of boiled root vegetables which I had cut into matchsticks and cooked separately so they looked rather attractive and with a knob of butter they tasted OK too.  After a cup of coffee we loaded Jeff's car with the cartridges we had bought on his behalf and I rang our gun shop to check on the price of some other cartridges that Jeff likes - he was gob smacked to find they were £20 per thousand cheaper than he had paid.  That is a big difference especially when you are buying 3,000 at a time.
Today I have plans to make Cornish pasties, though I believe they can only be called that if they are cooked in Cornwall.  Anyway they are not strictly correct as I am using some of my purchase of veal to make them.  I made a pound and half of ruff puff pastry last night which has been in the fridge and this morning I will roll and fold it a couple of times before I make the final pasty crust.  It is such a long time since I have made these that I was unsure if I could remember how to do the crimp but I need not have worried there is a wonderful video on you tube which explains it all in fine detail with great close up shots.  I am hoping to have them done by lunch time so we will be able to sample the finished article and the rest can go in the freezer for emergency lunches.  I have not seen hide nor hair of my neighbours who were due back yesterday but I will go round and knock today and make sure that they have returned safely after their earthquake experience.  At least they have not had to make it back from Tripoli!!!! which is an airport that I have visited on numerous occasions when flying out to Nigeria to visit my mum and dad.  In those days it was propeller planes and we flew from Heathrow to Rome then Rome to Tripoli, Tripoli to Kano and finally Kano to Lagos.  How the world has moved on!!!!
Frank and Basso now you can see how Basso gets mistaken for a labadoodle which is what Frank is...
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Friday morning

Good morning early readers

Wenesday morning