Friday morning

The girls make their way out of the night sanctuary for another days scratching......
Yesterday was a fine bright day with just odd moments of cloudiness and today looks even better with a clear blue sky.  I took the girls on a foraging trip and we picked 6lbs of damsons in a matter of minutes we also picked an assortment of other fruit for me to make a crumble.  As we were picking a couple who were picking blackberries asked us what we were picking so I explained that they were wild damsons which they thought were sloes.  As it happened there was a sloe bush near by so they could make a comparison.  We then move on to the wild rocket, sea beet, purslane, hips and haws all of which are growing in profusion.  They were very interested in foraging and glad of a guide help them identify the plants.  Mean while the dogs took themselves for a paddle in the large puddle that accumulates on the key side.  Once we got home we settled down to going over the fruit and removing any that were damaged or blemished and any stalks and leaves that had made their way into the bags.  The girls rang their mother to let her know how much sugar she would need to make the jam and with that their Dad came to fetch them so that was the morning done.  Mike had seen the error of his ways and cleared up the kitchen but it was too late so he got sardines on toast for his lunch.  For dinner I egg and bread crumbed a couple of chicken legs and we sat eating them say " eat your heart out Colonel Sanders" as they were truly delicious.
Today my nephew is getting married and we were supposed to be at the wedding but Mike felt, justifiably, that it would all be too much for him.  There was too much driving and walking involved and we would have to do it all in one day because of the dogs - other members of the family are staying in a hotel overnight.  Anyway I am delighted as it has saved me from a "posh frock", do which I hate!!!!My chest infection is just simmering in the back ground and has not really got going, for which I am grateful, however it is making me feel  a few degrees under.  Today we are going out to lunch with Len and Margaret and we will find somewhere nice to give the dogs a bit of a run but first I have to make an autumn fruit crumble and Mike has to take a trip to the butcher to collect some venison sausages.
Yesterday evening I got a phone call from my friend Mary who is recently bereaved to ask if she could invite herself for New Year.  I was thrilled it is so nice when people want to come and stay with you.  She spent Christmas with us last year but this year she is going to stay in a hotel with friends so she would like to come for new year.  She like the fact that she will not need her posh clothes and we run a very relaxed regimen.
Well time is marching on and I need to get my act together if this crumble is to be done.  Have a good day and enjoy the good weather if you have some!!!!!!
2 comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wenesday morning

Saturday Morning

Friday morning